Wednesday, October 04, 2006

post in lieu of a post

I promised myself I would never post about why I'm not posting. Yet here I am. "My name is Alan, and it's been a month since my last post." But there's a valid reason. I haven't had a single. interesting. thought. Or at least no thought that didn't need to be streamed into a column, a class, a grant I've been busy working on, a manuscript review, or an email, or didn't involve distracting my 2-year-old from eating rocks.

It's bad timing for such thoughtlessness. William Osler said that "the effective, moving, vitalizing work of the world is done between the ages of twenty-five and forty" ... and I turn 40 soon. Is this the end for my days of whines & proses? Is this the beginning of a slow decline towards nostalgia, forgetfulness, and, finally, administration?

It's not really as bad as all that. I am being inspired by such posts as Kevin Marshall on the past, or Carling Marshall's comment, at least as quoted by Bryan Andrachuk, that if it's not on the web, it's almost as if it doesn't exist. Now, just to decide how to respond to them.

Stay away from the rocks!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home